Friday, April 10, 2009

Sakura: Cherry Blossom Season!

Well, since I have been back, the weather has just been gorgeous and the cherry blossoms are in FULL bloom! I took last weekend to rest at home and recover from jet lag. I had an enkai this week (welcome party for new teachers) and have really been killing time at work because the students do not really start class again until next Monday. I have two classes today! 3rd and 5th periods. I will be teaching 1st grade! I am very excited as I already know a majority of the new 1st graders.

Let me rewind just a bit. As you read below graduation was about a month ago for the 3rd grade students. Those students are now 1st graders in high school. We just had the end of our school year and are now starting our new school year. We have new teachers and new students! It is an exciting time for us! SO, with that said, I am at Hinode JHS now and I taught the 6th graders at Hinode Elementary. Those students are now here at Hinode JHS! I am at a complete advantage of having already met them, eaten lunch with them, and taught them. OKAY - now that that's over...

Yesterday, was the day the cherry blossoms would be at their peak. I called John after being trapped in the office all day to see if he wanted to go cherry blossom viewing. He said yes and to figure out where this park was that was high on a hill in Itako. We found out and actually it is a hill where Hokusai - famous Japanese artist - painted one of the 36 views of Fuji. It was amazing to go where he had once been - and its in my own town for Pete's sake! We walked around the park and enjoyed a gorgeous sunset! I will post pictures below from yesterday's adventures and also Wednesday Erin and I got together and viewed them at night :)

I have decided that spring is my favorite season in this country. It is really just a very happy time, gorgeous weather, great clothes, great surroundings! Everything is just nice!

This weekend I am going to Tokyo - I know you are so surprised! To enjoy a cherry blossom picnic with some of my friends in Yoyogi park in Harajuku. I am also going to try and get to Ueno and perhaps Hibiya Parks also! Sunday, for Easter, I am meeting Annelyse and friends in Meguro at the London Pub for all you can eat lamb for about $20! Ana, one of my fellow art friends from LFC, is in Japan right now visiting her host family she once stayed with. She will be joining us for brunch! I am very excited to see her!! It is nice to know you have friends around the world! She is currently a Fulbright scholar in Romania! Can't wait to see her!!

It shall certainly be an interesting Easter! This is my 2nd Easter spent out of the states. Two years ago, I was in Greece - WOW, that was quite a day! That is too long of a story :) Great times to come this weekend! Enjoy this pictures below! Happy Easter and Happy whatever to whatever you decide to celebrate this weekend and always :)

My street in Hinode :)

My street =D My taxi drivers keep taking me down this street and told me to come here during the sakura season! They are right - it is gorgeous! The trees narrow as you go further down :) They are so dainty and magical! John and I just goofying around near Itako 2nd! The sun is beginning to set in Ushibori. John and I made many adventures around Itako in various locations!

A nice statue with Sakura in the background!
The sun is setting. Japanese sunsets and sunrises really are some of the best in the world =D
I love the lanterns that illuminate the path ways once the sun has set :)


Erin and I in Chiba!
Viewing Sakura at night in Chiba! Really cool! :)
Erin and I!


*Friends*

No comments: