Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Traveling Play

I was brought back to my elementary and junior high school days when I was told the afternoon was free because of entertainment.

A play was being brought to our school. To my amazement when I reached the gymnasium the entire stage had been transformed into an unrecognizable Itako 2nd JHS stage. It was incredible. I was quite excited that the next two hours of my afternoon were going to be spent being entertained by Japanese actors. You would think this would be quite the headache but it ended up being rather pleasurable. I knew that some of my students were involved because in 3rd period they said they needed to go to "dance practice".

The play was called Asian Paradise. It was a perfect little play in which I was able to kind of follow. That is the lovely thing with expressions, music, and setting you can usually figure out what it is about when you are unable to comprehend the language. It was a nice play because it was so cold outside (who am I kidding it was freezing inside too...I was bundled up to my nose in my scarf and jacket) but they did a great job of depicting a very hot atmosphere.

The gist of the play was there was this hostel which the old woman ran it included all the relationships and interactions that people would perhaps have on a day to day basis. It included conflict and love. The hostel housed people from all over the world. The acting was good from what I could see and understand and I was honestly very happy to have spent my afternoon watching it!

Here are a few pictures from the play! My students were even involved at the very end!! Really fun! :)







No comments: