Friday, February 13, 2009

Misogi 1.18.2009 Kashimajigu

Simply, Misogi is an extremely interesting Japanese tradition. It is at the start of the new year. It is a festival/ceremony in which you pray for good luck, fortune, and health. You pray at the shrine at the front of Kashimajingu first and then do a chanting/movement ritual. After standing out in the cold and doing the chanting ritual everyone enters the "holy" pool of water. They pray for about 5 minutes in the freezing cold. As you can see, the women are in white yukatas and the men in simply a white cloth. This is a purification ceremony. I went to support Nobuko, her mother, and some friends. I have been asked to do it next year - but we will see. That water looks pretty darn cold =D This is everyone prior to the chanting.
This is the chanting as it began. More movements and chanting.
Everyone gathering into the water. I was fearful of someone having a heart attack! But no one did.
Praying in the freeeezing water =D
Nobuko, her mother, and friends are off to the left a bit in the middle of all the people.
Everyone out of the water and repeating the chanting and movements.
Nobuko and I =D Warm and dry! It was a very interesting ceremony to attend to. Since we have nothing like this in America, I wanted to go. I am not sure if I will ever do it for several reasons. But I will go back next year to support friends. =D


1 comment:

kitty said...

yea naked men. NOBUKO ROCKS. I MISS YOU!!!!