Thursday, February 12, 2009

New Years Day 2009 & OH, what the heck =D Let's dress up in Kimonos!

New Years Day at the Masaki Residence! =D The principal from Hinode Elementary welcomed Kathryn and I into his mother's home for New Years. We were able to experience a traditional New Years Day dinner! This is Kathryn and I getting warm and chatting prior to dinner!
Digging into the many delicious meals!! This is Kat and I with "Kuni"'s sister. She is now living in Cambridge and was able to speak freely with us in English. It was so nice meeting her! Kuni is Masaki sensei =D
YUM!!!
Break from the food. Not sure what we are looking at. Apparently it was interesting!
Kathryn and I with Kuni's daughter. She is our age and very talented! She plays piano, sings, and dances =D She lives in Tokyo and is our age!
Family portrait - haha...we fit right in!
Kuni had the grand idea for us to come to his home and dress in kimonos. He called the music teacher at my junior high school because his wife is a traditional kimono dressing teacher. They arranged for us to come to his home and have her dress us =D The kimono in the picture below is the kimono Kathryn bought herself when she came to Japan :)
Me =D in my coming of age kimono. The girls where these bright, lavish kimonos when they turn 20. There is a day in January in which all the girls that have turned 20 in the past year dress up and go out. It is to show society that they have become women. I am obviously past that mark!
Kathryn looking beautiful!
Tieing the obe belt!

...and tieing...

Yay! Finally dressed up and ready for some photos! :) Full body shot Parasols! How cute?!
With Masaki sensei himself! He is a very wonderful man! I will introduce you all to him when you come visit Japan!
Wow, this was really difficult for me considering I have such a bad knee =( But I sucked it up and did it anyway!
Our beautiful obes - belts.
Kathryn's second kimono tying! This is Masaki sensei's wife's kimono from when she had her coming out :) I thought it was really neat that Kathryn was able to wear it!

Kathryn and I posing with Kanazawa sensei's daughters and wife. Kanazawa sensei from Itako 2nd is the music teacher and his wife is the traditional kimono dressing teacher.
We officially played dress up with all the accessories!! We had so much fun! It is usually very expensive to do this activity but we were able to do it as a gift. It is an experience I will never forget!

No comments: