Thursday, August 7, 2008

I'm Here!

Well...

It's official, I am in Japan! It is amazing to be here!

We flew into Narita Airport on Aug. 3. I was one of the lucky ones to have not recieved all of my luggage. Once I realized this unfortunate event, I went to the claim counter to report my luggage. I gave them both the Keio Plaza Hotel address in addition to my new home's address. From there, I was greeted by several JET (Japan Exchange & Teaching Programme) faces :) They pointed us in every direction we need to go to get to the busses to travel into Tokyo. Only an hour and a half later I arrived in Tokyo. I registered at the hotel for orientation and ta da...I was off to my hotel room for a nice, hot shower! From there it was out to dinner with a few girls from the Nashville group for Udon, Pork, and Curry. It was a great first meal. It was then off to sleep for a new day.

I woke up on Monday and proceeded to get ready and head on to breakfast. Monday was filled with workshops at the hotel. They were some what redundant of what we have already learned about the program; however, they were helpful and informative. By the end of the day I was exhausted and really feeling the Jetlag. But it was no time to rest yet! My entire prefecture (Ibaraki) that was at orientation (18 of us) went out for a delicious dinner consisting of dumplings, edamame, rice cakes, octopus balls, chicken wings, tea, and beer! It was nice to meet everyone and chat in a relaxed environment. One of the guys was celebrating his birthday so it was nice to be able to help him with that. From there it was off to sleep for another day of orientation.

On Tuesday I woke up and called Northwest Airlines...no luck :( It was a more informative day on the specifics of teaching Junior High...

I went out with Elissa and Crystal (two girls from Nashville orientation). We wondered up past Shinjuku Station (the biggest train station in the WORLD), walked down a random street, pointed and went into a little hole in the wall restaurant. Much laughter and smiles were had as the lanuage barrier is still a challenge for me and will be I am sure it will be for most of the year. I am slowly learning, I just need time!! I came home and packed up for Itako after that and hit the sack because it was off to Itako!!!

Wednesday:
Peace out Tokyo, see you soon! It was time for our formal "induction" in Mito by our Board of Educations. We traveled for about 2.5 hours and we had a little half hour induction. Our supervisors were there to travel with us to our various locations. I was very lucky and John, the other ALT (Assistant Language Teacher) in Itako, was there to pick me up! Yamada, my supervisor, does not speak English and I do not speak Japanese so it would have been a very quiet day had John not been there!

After the ceremony we were on our way back to Itako! We stopped for lunch and I ordered a variety plate with miso, sashimi, salad, green tea, chicken, pork, etc. It was delicious (Oishii)! After lunch we did EVERYTHING! I registered for my alien registration card, met the Mayor, got my stamp (works as my signature), got business cards, went grocery shopping, went to the 100 Yen shop, ...then conveyer belt sushi!!! In Japan they have this "stuff" called Natto. It is furmented soy beans. I believe it is looked at as a delicacy around here. Yamada ordered a roll just for me so I could try it. It was discusting!!! I almost gagged. I am not sure what you could add to it to make it better but I have tried it and now I don't have to try it again! I then came home to unpack and get situated into my apartment. I love it here! John said he would come over at 10 am...

Today, Thursday August 7:
John came over right at 10 in the blazing hot sun! We chatted for a bit and he brought over his bike pump. We inflated the tires of my bike and we were off to discover Itako! One of my schools is a mere two minutes away by bike :) A soccer camp was going on so we stopped in to say hello. We then just biked around and went to the super center for air conditioning and food. We ate at a little restuarant called CoCo's. I had beef curry! yum! Yamada called in the middle of lunch to let John and I know we needed to be ready at 4. After lunch, John guided me back home and we met back at 4:00. I laid down for a little nap and then it was time to figure out the shower. I must tell you it had 5 steps before you can even step in a shower. Needless to say, I could not figure out how to get hot water. It is so hot here, it was fine I took a cool shower and was ready by 4:00. We were off to the BoE (Board of Eduation) to meet the four head teachers of the four Junior High schools here in Itako. I am trying to speak what Japanese I do know but I definitely have to begin studying!

I made dinner tonight after decorating my bathroom! I made udon with soy, tomatoes, mushrooms and added some seasoning. I am exhausted so I think I will sign off for now but I hope this gives you a great idea as to what I am up to!!! Miss you ALL!! Until then...

1 comment:

kitty said...

awww sissy you look so cute. xoxoxox