Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Hinode JHS Sports Day 2009 ~ A Day Without Rain :)

Every year, the tents are brought out, the field is cleaned, and the kids get mentally and physically ready to have one day of kicking butt out on the dirt. It is a day of many relay races, dance competitions, tears, fighting, and laughter. It is an intense day for everyone as everyone is competing (fighting) to be # 1.

The festival was to be held on Saturday the 6th but because of horrible weather conditions it was postponed until further notice. Well, as luck may have it, Sunday was gorgeous. We never seem to see the blue sky these days as we are well into our rainy season. The rain is tiresome but many Japanese will tell you that we are having a light rain year.

I arrived at school around 8:20. Most everyone else had been there well before that. I was not competing, I was only a cheerleader. Most teachers do not compete but rather are there to facilitate the day's activities. The day was fantastic. I often think that many of the relays that are performed here in Japan would never be allowed to happen in America due to every one filing law suites. The story is not complicated nor does it need many details. The sun felt wonderful, the bento box lunch was delicious, and helping out wherever I could was really fun! It was a great day had by all!

I was able to participated in the PTA race. A few of the kids did not have a parent, friend, or sibling there. I was able to step in and participate in the 3 legged race! I was part of blue team and we really pulled through all the way to #1! It was fun sharing the victory with team blue! After the day was over, we all pitched in and broke everything down. I went home at 5:30 and took a quick shower and met all of the teachers at a fun Izakaiya around 6:30. We enjoyed many foods and drinks. A lot of teachers were funny to say the very least. The tiring day made a lot of people drink. It was very interesting to see! =D I stayed until 10:30, called Daiko, and went home.

Sports Day 2009 @ Hinode Junior High School was one of the best days I have had while living here in Japan. It was a day of unity and I felt included and helpful - it was a wonderful feeling.






























No comments: